The Biomedical Engineering Department at Vidyalankar was started in the year 2006 with a view to develop skilled health care engineering professionals by nurturing them in a scholarly environment. The Department currently offers four years’ full-time degree program, B. Tech. in Biomedical Engineering and is having intake capacity of 60. Department also offers Honours degrees in AI in Healthcare; Medical IOT and Medical Imaging Technologies. Department is accredited by the National Board of Accreditation till June 2022(Applied now for cycle 2 of Accreditation). The Department is having collaboration with the leading healthcare industry in the world, GE Healthcare, USA, and formed a Health Care Institute (HCI) named GE Healthcare-VIT Centre for Academic Excellence. The HCI primarily focuses on providing education and training to students on the latest technology medical equipment and to enhance their existing technical skillsets including leadership skills. The Department also has signed a MoU with Capgemini Engineering fostering Collaboration to promote Industrial & Academic interaction with an objective of improving Internships and Placements.
Highly competent and dedicated faculty is our strength! This is supported by well-equipped laboratories. Our faculties are expert in various domains in the Biomedical Engineering such as, Biomedical instrumentation, Medical imaging, Digital Image processing, Nanotechnology etc., and are also involved in setting of Biomedical Engineering, syllabus of Mumbai University. Some of them are nominated as experts to government organizations like Municipal corporation of Mumbai, State board of technical education, Department of Science and Technology. Our faculties have significant contribution in Biomedical research and had published their work in reputed national and international Journals. Some faculties are guiding post graduate and doctoral students and evaluating their work as examiners.
It gives me immense pleasure to welcome students to Department of Biomedical Engineering. Biomedical program in VIT is focussed on high quality teaching, practical training in well-equipped labs and collaborative research projects with institutes of repute like IIT Bombay, TISS, BARC, Tata Memorial Hospital and many other. We invite experts from the various domains of biomedical field such as, Wearable devices, Artificial intelligence in healthcare, Artificial Organs, Nanotechnologies, IOT based instruments etc. to share their expertise with our students. Department is having Centre of Academic Excellence in collaboration with GE Healthcare, USA. to train our students on latest technology medical equipment. MoUs with companies like Smartwayz, Campus Credentials, and Aspiring Minds helps us to make students ready for placements. Our students are selected by top universities in the world like John Hopkins, Michigan Tech, Rice USA for higher studies in Biomedical Engineering.
Indian Biophysicist, TIFR Mumbai
Manager - Intellectual Property, Johnson & Johnson
Director, Rescare Medisystems
National Sales Manager, Stryker Pvt Ltd
Publications are regarded as an asset that enables authors to gain recognition and acknowledgement as experts in a particular field at national and international levels. Student and faculties of Biomedical Engineering, work on collaborative projects and come out with new concepts and present/publish their work in national and international conferences / journals like Springer, IEEE, IJRTE, ComPE indexed and peer reviewd UGC Approved Journals. Some of their work published in reputed journals is mentioned below.
• Mrunal Katkar, Vaishnevi Phutane, Isha Ghogale, Shriya Sohani 1. “Design of Optical Fibre Goniometer having Physiotherapeutic Application for Measurement of the Tilt in Human Joints " secured first place at project competition at VNPS 2021 VCET College National Level Project Showcase and UGCON 2021 Undergraduate Conference at MIT ACADEMY OF ENGINEERING. Jul 2-4, 2020
• Ishan Vatsaraj ,“Early Detection of Parkinson’s Disease using Contrast Enhancement Techniques and CNN” presented technical paper at International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT)
• Hardik Wadikar, Namrata Mohite, Krishnakant Shukla, "3D Hologram Future of Medicine" participated and presented technical paper at International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT)
• Janhvi Malwade , Suaad Sayyed Jamima Nasir , Yashada Parab Mrs.Geetha Narayanan Mr.Shishir Gupta “Wireless Stethoscope with Bluetooth Technology”2020 International Conference on Computational Performance Evaluation (ComPE) North-Eastern Hill University, Shillong, Meghalaya, India. Jul 2-4, 2020
• " Deformation Analysis of Pneumatized Sphenoid Bone caused due to Elevated Intracranial Pressure using Finite Element Analysis”, Prutha Deshpande, Aishwarya Kura, Saurabh Joshi, Dr. Jitendra Toravi, TEST Engineering and Management,Volume 83, March- April 2020.
• ” Diagnosis of Asthma & Monitoring of respiration Parameter”, Saili Mandavkar, Sanyukta Sharma, Pradnya Killedar, Dr.Arpit Rawankar, Prof. Mohit Gujar, Prof. Neelam Punjabi, International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering , (IJRTE), 2020.
• Priyanka Nair, Samriddhi Mathur, Rupika Bhandare, Prof. Geetha Narayanan “Bed sore Prevention using Pneumatic controls” IEEE Connect 2020 Bangalore.
• Suyog Pathare, Gurpreet Kaur Bombra, Komal Kamble, Dr. Gajanan Nagare,“Early Identification of fire by Utilisation of Camera”, IEEE International Conference on Communication and Signal Processing ,2018.
• Ishan Vatsaraj was working at International Neuroinformatics Coordinating Facility (INCF) to develop Open Source Software for their project - TheVirtualBrain (TVB).He received a stipend of 1500 USD after successful completion of the program
• Yashodhan Gharote won Best Delegate Award in 1st Wind of Change Model United Nations Online Conference,2020.
• Richa Bhujbal won Tug of Words (Intra-debates) in Annual Intercollegiate Festival, VERVE at Vidyalankar Institute of Technology,2020.
• Rutuja Jangam won Certificate of Excellence in vSpeak Language Lab workshop organized by the Department of Humanities, First Year Engineering, VIT,2020.
Department of Biomedical Engineering organizes workshops, programs for the development of technical skills among students and faculties, through technical committees like BMSA and BMESI. Department also conducts technical seminars, poster competitions, hands on training on latest medical instruments, etc. in their annual technical festival, IMPULSE, organized mainly by students. Short term training programs and skill development programs are also organized frequently so that latest findings/ technological innovations in the healthcare domain are known.
• Informal Event “Geeky Affair” was conducted 24th February 2022 • Webinar on “Overview of Robotics In Surgery” was conducted on 26th February 2022. The webinar was addressed by Mr. Satish Kulkarni, Clinical Head at CMR Surgical and Mr. Durgesh Todankar, Clinical Support at CMR Surgical • Workshop on Data Exploration with Orange of IMPULSE 2022. was conducted on 22-23 February 2022. The workshop was addressed by Mr. Khan Muhammad Saqiful Alam,Program Manager, South Asian Region ,TikTok • A motivational talk on Redefine the Possibilities- as part of IMPULSE 2022. was conducted on 21st February 2022. The webinar was addressed by Mr. Danesh Kanagaraj, Founding Director at Aclude Foundation and 5x TEDx speaker • Webinar on “Introduction to Robotics with ROS” as part of IMPULSE 2022 was conducted on 19th February 2022. The webinar was addressed by Mr. Abhinav Anantharaman,a Firmware Engineer for Robotics at Aeolus Robotics, Inc. was attended by faculty and students from VIT and participants from all over India • Webinar on “Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy” as part of IMPULSE 2022 was conducted on 12th February 2022. The webinar was addressed by Mr. Uday Ningawale, an expert in designing and planning dialysis units and is currently operating at Education Services & Clinical Management at Renal Consulting Services Pvt.Ltd. He has a lot of experience as a Sr. Technician from Kokilaben Dhirubhhai Ambani Hospital and Jaslok Hospital & Research Centre • Webinar on Robotic Process Automation of IMPULSE 2022 was conducted on 10th February 2022. The webinar was addressed by Mr. Parth Doshi, Consultant at WanderBotz, and Creator of The RPA Rookies • BMESI Sponsored Certificate Course on “Medical Device Manufacturing and Regulations” 28 August-9 October 2021 • Webinar on Medical Manufacturing and Regulation by Mrs. Shreya Kulalli Penumbra Inc. California on 28 August 2021 • AI and ML Workshop for Biomedical applications by Mr. Kalpesh Patil Manager AI-Data Scientist, Michelin, on 4 September 2021 • Webinar on Medical Device Safety by Mr. Neelesh Shinde CTO Jupiter Hospital Group on 24 September 2021 • Regulatory Framework for Med Devices: A Global Perspective, Mr. Darly Kuriakose RAC Senior Consultant in the field of Medical Device RA and QMS CEO, TREEASE WORLDWIDE on 25 September 2021 • Demonstration and Hands on workshop on implementing IOT based projects by Mr. Anand Panchal Program Manager-ION Energy on 2 October 2021 • Demonstration on Test Testing and Calibration of Medical Devices by Mr. Deepak Raina Zonal Manager (North &West) Fluke Biomedical on 9 October 2021 • Workshop on “MEDICAL IMAGING AND DIGITAL IMAGE PROCESSING”was conducted on 15th and 25th March 2021. The webinar was addressed by Dr. Sumit Kumar, Assistant Professor at School of Electronics, IIIT Una was attended by faculty and students from VIT and participants from all over India • “Poster Presentation Competition” was held on 18th March 2021.on topics Modification in current Biomedical Devices, 3D Printing, Lockdown Heroes, Post Pandemic Innovations, Scenario in Healthcare industry before and after Covid-19 • Webinar on “The Expedition of Drug Development” was conducted on 13th March 2021. The webinar was addressed by Dr. Sachin Khedkar, Senior Scientist-Analytical Development (Senior Manager), Janssen. Pharmaceutical, Mumbai Region.Faculty and students of F.E, S.E, T.E, B.E, of VIT and other institutes had attended the webinar • Webinar on “Retinal Image Analysis” was conducted on 5th March 2021 was addressed by Ms. Dhanshree Thulkar, Research Scholar at VJTI (Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute), Mumbai • Webinar on “3D Modeling and Printing” was organized on 17th October 2020 by Mr. Priyank Yeolekar, MS in Biomedical Engineering from New York University; Currently working with Anatomiz3D Medtech Pvt. Ltd • Session on “IMPACT OF 3D PRINTING IN BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING” organized on 15th September 2020. The session was addressed by Dr Guruprasad Rao, Director and mentor at Imaginarium India Pvt. Ltd, Professor and chief coordinator PLMCC at JSSATE, Bengaluru • Interactive session on “Challenges in developing and launching a product in pandemic times”. Was organized on 11th September2020 by Mr.Neil Savant, Founder and CEO, NUOS Home Automation • Webinar on ARDUINO Simulation with TINKERCAD was conducted on 4th August 2020 in which 95 participants both students and faculty from inside and outside institute were participated. Participants learned about ARDUINO and Simulation of ARDUINO based circuits on TINKERCAD simulation platform which is helpful to them for project work during this Pandemic times
• Mihir Tilak, Amey More,Darshan Bhor: Guided by Prof. Rohit Shrivastava IIT Bombay, Mr. Anurag Meena ,Dynasense & Dr. Gajanan Nagare-"IoT based Smart bottle for Healthcare"
• Heramb Gupta, Hrutuja Nipanikar, Shambhavi Pataskar, Guided by Prof. Rohit Shrivastava IIT Bombay, Mr. Anurag Meena ,Dynasense & Dr. Gajanan Nagare-"-"Blood Group Analysis using Image Processing Techniques"-Participated in "AICTE Vishwakarma"
• Manav Divekar, Sanchiti Patil, Aniket Ghosh, Gauri Patwardhan, Guided by Dr. Jitendra Toravi -"Point of Care Device for Gait Cycle Analysis"
• Vaishnevi Phutane, Mrunal Katkar, Shriya Sohani, Isha Ghogale- Guided by Dr. Arpit Rawankar, Prof. Harish Ojha-" Design of Optical Fiber Goniometer having Physiotherapeutic Application for Measurement of the Tilt in Human Joints"
• Viraj Bhatkar, Jinal Darji, Anant Pawar, Devanshi Shinde- Guided by Prof. Arunkumar Ram-"Wereable Device for detection and classification of Asthama"
• Hardik Wadikar, Krishnakant Shukla, Namrata Mohite, Guided by Prof. Priyanka Shrivastava-"3D HOLOGRAM - The Future Of Medicine"
• Aarti Ahire, Hephzibah Johnson, Siddhi Alag, Richa Bhujbal Guided by Geetha Narayanan-"Smart Incubator"
• Saili Mandavkar, Sanyukta Sharma, Pradnya Killedar, Guided by Dr. Arpit Rawankar, Prof. Neelam Punjabi -Determination of Respiration rate using Lasers and pulmonary function analysis.
• Prutha Deshpande, Aishwarya Kura, Saurabh Joshi, Guided by Dr. Jitendra Toravi - Deformation Analysis of Pneumatized Sphenoid Bone Caused Due to Elevated Intracranial Pressure Using Finite Element Analysis.
• Jamima Nasir, Suaad Sayyed, Jahnvi Malwade, Yashada Parab Guided by Prof. Geetha Narayanan-Wireless Stethoscope using Bluetooth Technology.
• Chinmay Mhatre, Somanshu Narkhede, Asif Shikalgar, Nitesh Patil Guided by Dr. Jitendra Toravi ECG signal monitoring using Cloud Based System.
• Shreeyash Khambete, Shreedhar Chitalay, Arbaz Ambar Guided by Dr.Gajanan Nagare in collaboration with IIT Bombay- Design and Development of POCT for early diagnosis of kidney disorder.
• Anushree Joshi, Apeksha Torne, Swati Tiwari Guided by Prof. Arunkumar Ram in collaboration with TISS (Tata Institute of Social Science)- Analysis of Road Accidents and Arduino based Alert Systems.
Students from Biomedical Engineering Dept. undergo internships at various organizations including, Companies manufacturing and dealing with Medical Devices, Hospitals, Research Institutes and NGOs. More than 60% of the students from the department undergone Internships in and around Mumbai. Department also offers Inhouse internships to students. College has separate internship cell which helps students to get internships.
Jupiter Hospital, Fortis Hospital, Global Hospital, Nanavati Hospital, Bhatia Hospital, Saifee Hospital, Seven Hills Hospital, Kokilaben Hospital, etc. are some of the few hospitals where students go for internship.
Placements in the Biomedical Engineering Department are focused on companies dealing in Manufacture, Sales and Marketing of Medical Devices and providing Technical Support to the customers. A good number of students are also getting placed in Corporate Hospitals, IT/ITES companies, Education Management firms. MoUs with companies like Smartwayz, Campus Credentials, and Aspiring Minds helps us to make students ready for placements. With close association with Institutes Entrepreneurship cell many students are getting inspired to initiate their own startups. Students have their startups in various fields of biomedical engineering such as equipment used during medical emergencies (Criticare), overall medical diagnosis and healthcare.
Department always encourage students to participate in various competitions whether its technical quiz, paper publications, extra-curricular activities, cultural activities or sports activities. Some of our students have moved in to advance stage of Fighting COVID-19 Hackathon, e-yantra , IIT Bombay.
Alumni relationships with the Alma Mater are lifelong relationships nurturing mutual support and growth. In last decade, Biomedical Engineering Department at Vidyalankar Institute of Technology has produced technocrats, leaders, entrepreneurs, social entrepreneurs, managers who collectively have a wealth of knowledge and experience. Our Alumni are working with market leaders in the field of healthcare and many of them had upgraded themselves with master’s degrees (M S/M.Tech /MBA) and PhD from globally reputed institutes.
Embedded systems lab is equipped with sophisticated computer systems and used for development of instruments/projects & perform computational activities in areas of Biological Modeling and Simulations, programing of Embedded systems, Simulations for VLSI and Networking Systems in Medicine.
Digital Signal processing lab is loaded with various software’s like HHSim, NgsWIn, MATLAB R-2019a, Packet Tracer, HEXEditor, QuickviewHL7, PSpice, LTSim etc. This lab is used for signal processing studies.
Higher education is a driver of technology and innovations and also a focal point of knowledge. It promotes growth, performance, prosperity and cooperation in every society. Raising skills and enabling its diffusion is the key to creating high-wage employment, enhancing productivity and quality knowledge reserve. It is of paramount importance for development of self, society and humanity as a whole. The roles of higher education in sustainable economic and social development has increased over decades. It prepares one to address major social and global challenges.
1. Dr. Jitendra Toravi nominated as a ‘Judge’ for Final Round of 15th Inter-Collegiate/Institute/Department Avishkar Research Convention: 2021 for Engineering and Technology category and PG, PPG and TH level by University of Mumbai.
2. Mihir Tilak, Amey More, Viraj Bhatkar won first prize in E-Yantra 2020 against Covid-19.
3. Biomedical Engineering students and staff have won many awards for academic excellence and for development work. Some faculties have got National and International recognition for their contribution in the field.
To be a globally recognized centre of excellence in the field of biomedical engineering where learners are nurtured in a scholarly environment to evolve into competent professionals to benefit society.
Evolve a curriculum which emphasizes on strong engineering fundamentals with the flexibility to choose advanced courses of interest and gain exposure to tools and techniques in Biomedical Engineering.
Encourage a teaching-learning process in which highly competent faculty share a symbiotic association with the institutes of repute.
Facilitate creation and dissemination of biomedical engineering knowledge through a digitally-enabled learning environment.
Develop academic and infrastructural facilities with modern equipment and other learning resources and encourage reciprocal sharing with other institutes through networking.
Establish a centre of excellence to enhance academia – biomedical industry partnership and work on collaborative projects.
To enable the pursuit of knowledge in the field of Biomedical Engineering and contribute to the profession and employability of the students.
To engage in research, generate the employment through entrepreneurship and work effectively in multidisciplinary environment.
To understand the human, social, ethical and environmental context of their profession and contribute positively to the needs of individuals and society.
Apply advanced science and engineering to solve the problems at the interface of engineering and healthcare.
Demonstrate understanding of the principles and working of the hardware and software aspects of biomedical systems.
Use professional and ethical practices, strategies and tactics for the development, operation and maintenance of biomedical technologies.
Ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering for the solution of biomedical engineering problems.
Ability to formulate and analyze complex biomedical engineering problems.
Ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, and public health.
Ability to design and conduct experiments, and to analyze and interpret data.
Ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for biomedical engineering practice.
Ability to include societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
Ability to consider the impact of engineering solutions on environment and the need for sustainable development.
Ability to incorporate professional ethics, responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
Ability to work effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in multidisciplinary environment.
Ability to communicate effectively on complex engineering activities.
Knowledge and understanding of principles of management and finance in relation to biomedical engineering projects.
Appreciation of technological change and the need for independent life-long learning.